South of Perth Yacht Club

Location: Coffee Point, Applecross, WA, Australia

South of Perth Yacht Club was founded on 18 December 1945, when a group of sailors set out to give the youth of South Perth a sport that kept them off the streets. The first clubhouse, an army disposal mess building, was carted by volunteer members from Point Walter to the Como foreshore and opened in November 1946, with Frank Sampson as first Commodore. When construction of the Kwinana Freeway forced a move in 1960, the club relocated with State Government assistance to Coffee Point in Applecross, on the western shore where the Canning River meets the Swan. It took its present name at that time, and the site is recorded in Western Australia's inHerit state heritage database.

{"socials": {"facebook": "https://www.facebook.com/SofPYC/"}}

Official website

Upcoming sailing events in Australia

See all sailing events in Australia.

More yacht clubs on the World Sailing Day map.